Tuesday, December 30, 2008

my daughter, the lobbyist

ever since g's friend, E got her ears pierced, g has started the campaign to get her own ears pierced. G seems to think the ear piercing was the beginning of all sorts of wacky body piercing. I did point out to G that despite having pierced ears for the better part of my whole life, I have never had any desire for any other body piercing. Still G is hesitant.

I have told g that there probably would be some pain like an injection. She said that she was brave during her last vaccination. Indeed she was. According to G, she didn't even cry.

I also told her that she shouldn't play with it or pull on it. That refraining from doing so might be hard for her. She promised that she wouldn't, that she will leave it alone even during bedtime.

I told her that I would think about it, hoping that maybe she would drop the topic because her father seems adamant about her not getting holes in her ears.

However it seems like it comes up at least once a day. So what is a mommy to do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a tough one. I'm not sure if it's true for all families in the "homeland", but it's interesting that part of the cultural practice is to pierce girls' ears while they are still babies. Maybe it's just a regional thing in the northern island?

Ultimately, I'm sure g will respect G's and your rules. She is such a sweet and precocious little girl.

Hope you guys have a Happy New Year!
RC