Monday, July 24, 2006

Am I being a nervous nellie?

I posted this on one of my mommy message boards, needing to get an answer. I got a lot of sympathy, but not many answers. So I figure I will post here and see.....

+++++++

I have a 21 month old DD (dear daughter) who has had a cough for almost 3 weeks. Last week, she ran a 102.8 fever during the night. So we gave her tylenol and took her to the doctor the next day. They put her on Zithromax (antibiotics) and carboxafed (cough medicine).

Odd symptoms (all of which appeared in a matter of days):

1. Loss of appetite - Since then her appetite has gone from insatiable to non-existent.

Her usual meal would be:
breakfast - bowl of cereal or oatmeal, cheese sandwich
snack of fruit (plateful)
lunch- a full bowl of rice+protein+vegetable
snack of fruit (plateful)
crackers, goldfish here and there
dinner - another full bowl of rice+protein+vegetable

Sometimes she would even have 2 breakfasts.

In a matter of a day, she has gone from the above to eating just a few slices of papaya or blueberries for the whole day. She has been this way for almost 5 days now.

2. Generally unhappiness - She has also become exceptionally whiny. She is terribly unhappy about everything. This used to be such an easy child to care for. She has a lot of words already, so she can usually ask for what she needs. But now, she just cries at the drop of a hat. A full-on cry, tears, screaming and everything for no obvious reason.

3. Itchy all over - She has also been really itchy. She has always had eczema, but now she has flare-up in the oddest places (the side of her arm, her shoulder, etc)

4. Sleepiness - I shouldn't be complaining about this, but all of a sudden she needs to nap for 4 hours. She sleeps her normal amount at night also.

Now the question - am I just being a nervous nellie or is this a normal transition to toddlerhood as my ped has told me?

Edited to add: I saw a small splash of blood on her pillow when I was trying to soothe her back to sleep. Teething???

No comments: